We feel, and studies suggest, that cooking is a form of therapy for many. On Sunday, we post recipes for those looking for new ways to diversify their cookbooks (we do not get paid for this). —Editorial Team.
A Family Meal Worth Celebrating
(Culinary.net) When you are hungry and searching for something filling, juicy and rich, turning to your pantry for on-hand ingredients can make dinner a breeze. Dodge snack cravings and avoid the temptation to swing by the drive-thru; instead, you can have a homemade meal ready in a matter of minutes by putting your skillet to work.
Call your loved ones to the dining room to share time together while trying these Smothered Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce. It’s a dish the entire family can dig into without questioning the substance of the meal as it’s a filling option that requires just a few ingredients you likely already have at home.
It all starts with the pork chops, which are thick and seared to perfection. The mushroom sauce is a beautiful blend of earthy and creamy textures. Bring it to a simmer then smother your pork chops and garnish with fresh parsley for a pop of color.
The best part is this recipe doesn’t take much time to accomplish. The pork chops are seared for 3-5 minutes per side then simmered in the mushroom sauce for another 2-3 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
Don’t waste time with complicated recipes, dirtying an array of kitchen utensils and multiple trips to the store for ingredients you may not use again. This recipe requires one bowl and a single skillet. Cleanup is a breeze, which means there is more time to spend around the table with those who mean the most.
Find more savory recipes at Culinary.net.
If you made this recipe at home, use #MyCulinaryConnection on your favorite social network to share your work.
Smothered Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pork chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- In small bowl, whisk chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper until combined.
Pat pork chops dry. Season generously with spice mix. Set aside.
- In skillet, add olive oil and butter. Add pork chops; sear 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
- To make mushroom sauce: In same skillet, add mushrooms. Stir fry until golden brown. Add garlic, parsley and Italian seasoning. Stir fry 2 minutes. Add broth and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Simmer 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Return pork chops to sauce. Simmer 2-3 minutes until pork chops are cooked through. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.